Monday, October 5, 2009

How I met two presidents in one week, part deux











One September day, I found out that Serbian President Boris Tadic will open one of the seven days of UN’s General Assembly’s Debate. And I have a pass.
I was stopped about six times even before I entered the UN building on 46th street and 1st Avenue of New York City. The surrounding streets were barricaded, with police officers and security guards on every corner. I had to show my badge about 10 times before I actually got to the General Assembly's amphitheater. Every door, every elevator had security. They even stopped me once on the 3rd floor, for not having my badge on display.
Just as I walked in, and decided on a seat behind the Bulgarian desk and media, and with a great view of the Serbian desk, there he was. President Tadic walking to the designated Serbian desk, with Vuk Jeremic, Serbian minister of foreign affairs, and the entourage. I didn’t know that the President of a small country needs so many people in his entourage to speak at the UN. But, New York City IS a popular tourist destination…
It’s about 3:05pm. Tadic gets up from his chair, tall and handsome, and walks toward the podium. Then goes around it. Then emerges again from behind it. There are still hundreds of seats empty in the huge hall, while people from all parts of the world are constantly coming in. There’s constant motion on the floor.
I realize that with all these people walking every which way, I can get on the delegate’s floor too, and follow Tadic after his speech. A light bulb... A smile...
Tadic spoke for about 15 minutes, mostly English but some French as well. He spoke about climate change and global consequences, as well as Serbia’s role in addressing the global warming. Then he spoke about Southern Serbian province of Kosovo and how its independence is a violation of international law. We applauded.
After the speech, he went through a special speaker’s door. I rushed between the desks, and followed the rest of the Serbian entourage, consisted of three young women, two blondes and one brunette, and several other men besides Mr. Jeremic. They looked familiar but I couldn't place the names with the faces. On my way behind the stage, I bumped into charming Ms. Kori Udovicki, who is an Assistant Administrator and Director for Europe with the UNDP. We exchanged cards and went to greet Mr. Tadic. Behind the podium was already a short line of foreign dignitaries, wanting to talk to Tadic. I patiently stood in line, waited for only several minutes and introduced myself to Tadic, offering my hand. “…Congratulations on the great speech…” among “It’s a pleasure to meet you." And my name of course. He said HVALA couple of times and smiled. And then he said to Mr. Jeremic and the rest waiting there, that he has to go.
On my way out of there, feeling lucky and full of myself, I bumped into Srgjan Kerim, an extremely nice Macedonian Diplomat and former President of the United Nations Assembly. I hand in my card again. And walk out, to the streets of my beloved New York City, happy and optimistic.

No comments: