Friday, August 8, 2008

Unread of Hamlet

I had my last Shakespeare class last Friday. My wonderful teacher even teared up while telling us to continue reading Shakespeare out loud, and with each other, something along the lines of what we did in class. It's amazing how Shakespeare's words come alive when one reads them out loud. And you understand more.
You really do.
So I was laying in bed, thinking about that, and I found myself very motivated to actually organize a read with my peers. There's a great lounge in my building, perfect for this kind of occasion.
So I sent an e-mail to all my classmates. Most of them responded with excitement and confirmed. Some of them said they can't make it, right away. Some of them ignored the e-mail.
But at the end, almost all of them dropped out for one reason of another-health, rehearsals, travel...
Anyway, I didn't want to be the one to cancel. So I made a pot of coffee and went to the lounge to wait to whomever shows up.
One person showed up. C. Bless her.
We talked, had coffee and yogurt pretzels. We read a bit of Hamlet. It's much harder with just two of us. I became tired fast.
I actually skipped two good auditions to do this read. And people didn't show up. But they would pay $250 for more-less the same thing, and show up for that. Because they payed? Go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi