Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How I also met Isabella Rossellini, in the same week



A friend invited me to Hearst's reception, in Hearst building, stone-throw away from Central Park, dedicated to Italian fashion and lifestyle campaign Hearst is launching with Italian Trade Mission in New York City. Isabella Rossellini was one of the guests.
When I arrived, at the door, there they were--my friend, standing with Ms.Rossellini and a couple of Italian gentlemen. So my friend introduced me, right then and there, to Ms. Rossellini, as an actress and a writer. She's very warm and quite beautiful from up close. She smiled, shook my hand and said:" Oh, really? " "Not nearly as accomplished as you are...(unfortunately)...I admire your work..." I said. "Thank you," Rossellini said, charmingly. She was wearing a black suit and red lipstick. She has a stunning smile!
One Italian gentleman turned out to the head of Italian Trade Commision in New York City. He later had a funny and inteligent speech, mostly in English, on the 44th floor of Hearst building. I can't remember his name for the life of me...will get back to you on that.
When I got to the reception hall on the 44th floor, I was stunned by the view. Oh my God, it was heavenly. That is, by far, the best view of New York City I have ever seen. It wasn't only the height, it was also the location. I've been on the 40 something floor before, but on the East side and far from Central Park. Pale in comparison. Here, you could see the whole Central Park, the whole New York City from those floor-length windows.
"Would you like a Bellini?" a waiter asked as I was walking into this spacious, glaced conference room, drawn by the windows, with nothing but tables with drinks and a podium.
"Yes, please, " I said. After all, looking at the New York City from the 44th floor with a glace of Bellini, is...for the lack of a better term--heaven! The waiters have also been bringing me these delicious little snacks every minute--salmon this, truffle cheese that... Yummy!
I soon realized, even mesmerized by the view, that I didn't bring my camera. So I asked one of the nice guys from the retail business I met there to take a picture of me, with the view. At least something to remember these moments by. Not that I can forget.
The main speaker was the impressive Valerie Salembier, senior vice president and publisher of Harper's Bazaar. She had a long detailed speech on the launch of the new Italian fashion and lifestyle campaign in the United States, with slides and music.
Ms. Rossellini came to the podium just for a minute to thank the speakers for inviting her. But she was, obviously, the most popular guest there. It took me a while to get to her again.
You'll probably think I'm crazy but I gave Ms. Rossellini my postcard on the way out, saying that, being an actress, I would love to talk to her some time about her career. She took it, put it in her pocket, and smiled. She's not going to call, of course. But at least I tried. I also introduced myself to Ms. Salembier as a freelance writer, which is what I also am.
Gave my card, congratulated her on the speech...Blah, blah...
Then I left, buzzed with three or four Bellinis (they're served in a tiny champagne glass, in my defense,) the view, and the whole atmosphere of power around me.
p.s. I really need to publish my book. But I need to finish it first.
p.p.s. I am either an ultimate Renaissance woman, or, for the lack of a better word, confused. Or I have ADD.
p.p.p.s. "It's good to be the King..."

No comments: