Friday, October 9, 2009

How I got a part on 30 Rock, or one thing Isabella Rossellini and I have in common...kind of

One January day, I was blissfully window-shopping in Grand Central Station after a New England Clam Chowder and Oyster lunch in my favorite restaurant in New York City-Oyster Bar.
My phone rings. I pick it up, even though I didn't recognize the number (I rarely do that), and on the other end is a casting director I registered with more than a year ago. I completely forgot about it since she hasn't called me in a while.
"Are you available to come to an interview for a featured part on 30 Rock this afternoon a 5pm?" she asks. It was about 2pm. "Sure," I said. Even if I had something else, I would have cancelled it.
So I go home, get ready and take a cab to Silvercup Studios in Long Island City. Those are the home studios of Sex and the City, and Sopranos, which is obvious from the posters in the lobby. My name is on the list, so I'm sent up to some floor.
There was another young lady there, waiting to audition, but she looked completely different than I. She was pretty big, and had dark hair. Then others starts coming. Attractive African-American girl, an older attractive Russian woman, a non-attractive Caucasian one who likes to talk a lot...
Then one of the assistant producers comes to bring us to the 30 Rock office, where there are cubicles, with computers, and then separate offices along the walls.
There are pictures of Tina Fey and the whole cast from different magazines and papers everywhere.
The assistant producer said the director is busy so she'll bring a writer and a producer to help with casting. One by one, we get into this small office, with TV on the back wall, a table next to it, a long desk and comfortable chairs. There are two men sitting down, smiling, one younger, blonde, one, dark-haired, middle-aged. There are both producers/writers of 30 Rock, but at the time, I had no idea how big or important for the show they were.
They ask us to act out different situations--dancing, feeding each other pizza...
Silly, right? But it's a comedy, and if Tina Fey can do it, so can I, I thought.
So they do this a couple of times, mix us up to act with each other, then they took a couple of minutes, and the female assistant producer, Ms. B., said that I and the young woman with big mouth, have gotten the parts.
I actually kind of knew it, for myself. I was so right for the part. They were looking for one Russian, and one Latina woman. Also, I know I can act.
But I was surprised for my partner. Actually, she wasn't really my partner. All the shots I did, I did with Tina Fey. The "Latina" woman, was alone in one shot with Ms. Fey. She was besides herself when she heard the good news. She kept saying that she didn't expect it either. We both thought that the attractive African-American woman will get the second one. She was good, but I guess she didn't fit what they were looking for.
The shoot was set for the morning after, 11am. So I went home, this time on the train, very excited about tomorrow.
To be continued...

No comments: