Sunday, October 4, 2009

How I met two presidents in one week











Monday. September 2009. I got invited to a reception featuring American President Barack Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and U.S.Ambassador to UN Susan Rice. No, it wasn't a dream. It happened in famed Waldorf Astoria hotel in midtown Manhattan. I don't think I have to describe how excited I was. I mean, I have loved Obama since the famous speech during the Democratic Convention in 2006. "Skinny kid with a funny name" one. I volunteered some of my time to his camping's offices in 2007, even tried to persuade potential voters in Clinton's New York City that Obama is the right choice. "But she is a woman, and my Momma is a woman, " one Hispanic gentleman tried to persuade me that a woman should be the head of the country, which I agree with completely, in general. So you could imagine how hard it was for me to shoot this one down. "I agree," I said, "but not this woman."
Back to Waldorf Astoria, where I also met Bush two years ago, and bumped into Angelina Jolie with two of her....how many kids now? I lost count.
I arrived two hours and 15 minutes before the reception is suppose to start. The line is already long to enter the ballroom, where Obama, Clinton and Rice were to speak before they shake hands with some of us and have pictures taken.
So after standing in line for two hours, and sitting in a chair with my back in pain from standing for two hours, in a gorgeous ballroom, with balcony sittings in a circular construction, featuring gold as it's primary color, and crystal chandeliers, for another half an hour, the three musketeers finally appeared, enveloped by rivers of bodyguards. There was no way for me to actually get to the President, who was protected from the chosen mob by a cordon, and bodyguards, of course, with mean looks on their faces. Who can blame them. It's a serious job.
So first Ms. Rice spoke, who I also met couple of months ago during a basketball game with her employees, and who is a super woman who I immensely admire. She introduced the guests. Then Clinton spoke. Then Obama. Honestly, I think they are both smart and accomplished people I should listen to, obviously, and I did as much as I could, but my mind was set on how to actually get to the President, actually meet him, tell him something, shake his hand. The speech was, from what I recall, about thanking U.S. UN for its important and hard work, and the current economic crises.
Anyway, I would have been very disappointed if I didn't actually meet Obama, so my husband, knowing this, came to me amongst the mob. "Come over here," he said, pulling me out of the crowd and I just left my spot trusting him. "Go here," he said pointing to the small area of the room much less crowded and reserved for --children! And their parents. There was no time to waste, so even being a little uncomfortable and looking around to see if someone is going to ask for my child's birth certificate and kick me out of there, I excepted the opportunity as an intelligent gift, waited for the President to be right in front of me and extended my hand. "It's an honor to meet you Mr.President..."
He shook my hand, and the rest is a blur.
I know there were cameras snapping all around me. And that I was happy. I even got my picture taken with the children and the President. I'm waiting for those patiently. Shame on me.
Tomorrow? How I met another President. Stay tuned...

No comments: