Friday, November 2, 2007

Saint Sava Orthodox Church

I've met the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral's priest today. I met him in the church's office, just behind the church itself.
He was still busy even though I came exactly on time for our meeting. There were other four Serb-Americans there, speaking Serblish. I'd smiled, listening to them discussing some church business passionately. Kept thinking, Serbs have to be passionate about everything.
They spoke this hybrid of Serbian and English I heard before, from Serbs living in the States longer than in Serbia, and talking to other Serbs. I understand the challenge. You wanna speak Serbian to a Serb, but in the States,there's this compulsion to speak English. It's confusing. You know, you've being bombed with English every minute of every day. So you end up speaking both languages badly.And only the other fellow Serb-Americans can actually understand you. Literaly.
Anyway, after about 20 minutes of being a fly on the wall, the priest led me to another room, to have our conversation/interview.
He is a good interviewee, and seems to be a very honest and kind man. He was very open with all the answers. And gave me a thorough tour of the church's property.
I found out that the church finance itself only thorough donations.
He was proud of the fact that it's located in such a prominent place-across from Madison Square Park,and just around the corner of the Flatiron building. But, the location makes the maintenance expensive. And difficult and expensive parking makes it hard for some believers to come to the weekly service.
This church is, however, among the top ten to see in New York City.
It was renovated recently and it is quite beautiful. I was struck by the rose window, built from a very generous anonymous donation.
If you're ever in New York, and happen to be close to the Flatiron, see the church.
If it's closed, just go around it, and someone will open the door. That is very, very Serbian.

No comments: