Friday, June 27, 2008

Thievery Corporation in Central Park

M.and I went to the Thievery Corporation's concert on Thursday night, in Central Park.
The summer stage at the park reminded me of a scene in Novi Sad's Petrovaradin Fortress, during one of the biggest music festivals I've ever been too-Serbian Exit.
I'm really bad with estimating numbers and I don't really understand how people do that accurately, but the stage was full--both seating and standing areas. Hundreds and hundreds of people...
Several not-well known warm-up groups played, before Thievery actually started playing for only an hour and a half. I didn't come to the beginning of the whole concert, of course. It officially started at 5 p.m. Five hours at a concert is a bit much for me. Too much time standing or seating on long, metal benches without back support. So I showed up at 7 p.m. Still too early.
But when Thievery came on stage, at 8:30p.m., they came with a bang! Their music is really moving, and original, with Middle Eastern influences, and Portuguese and French as well as English lyrics. The music was enhanced by projections of different short, silent movies, or moving pictures behind musicians.
All in all--Great concert, great venue. I'll see them again any time. Just hope there will be no introductory musicians.

No comments: