Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Soho weekend

My mother is visiting. And I am conveniently free this week, free from teaching and being a teacher. My student ran away to Portugal. And the Fourth is halting Shakespeare until next Friday. So I have plenty of time to show her around N.Y.C.
I actually took her to a wacky audition in SoHo on Saturday. We waited for about 40 minutes in line in front of a small gallery where the audition, one-on-one, was held. When I finally went in, she stayed outside and watched. Cute.
It was funny and strange because this young director asked me to change characters every 10 second while doing my monologue. It was challenging but in a good way. I came up with several different, somewhat, characters, and it was kind of fun, I guess. Then he asked me to dance, so I did a little cha-cha while talking about why I dance alone. And then, I was a homeless man...
Did I mention that this was all on camera?
Anyway, it was fun, and afterwords we met M. in Aroma, a cafe in SoHo, with comci-comca cappuccinos and lattes. Then we went to Bloomis where my Mom got a mini makeover, for free. A Sisley woman offered her moisturising and make-up. Then we had free Nespressos in the cafe section of the Bloomingdales. No, not everything is free in N.Y.C. Au contraire. We were lucky. Then we went to Little Italy, which was incredibly charming, with closed off main street and thousands of people dining and shopping. My Mother said it reminded her of Greek coast in the summer. I could see the Mediterranean influence.
Our Italian lunch in a random picked restaurant was just o.k. It was also the first time to have your tip decided by your waiter. Ridiculous, but there really wasn't much we could do about it, and it wasn't worth it. I can't remember the name of this restaurant, but it was on the left corner of the walking street and the open one. Exactly a block away from Soho, from my beloved Cafe Roma. So, don't go there.

No comments: