Tuesday, August 28, 2007

American service

I've spent half of my day waiting for a cable company. We got our cable a little over 3 weeks ago,and this Saturday, it didn't want to play with us anymore. So we call the company. They can't send anyone until Tuesday. We are so not happy. Not that we can't live without TV, but we actually like to use what we pay for. So the technician was supposed to show up between 8a.m. and 12p.m. The first call:"Ma'am, he will come close to 12o'clock." "O.k.,"I say, and get on with my life. The second call:"We're apologizing but he will come closer to 1o'clock, Ma'am."At this point,I'm amazed with my patience."O.K.,"I say and get on with my life.
The third call:"Your building does not allow contractors, only our own technician so this appointment has to be a whole day thing."?!If Martians would come down and hear this, they would think that the cable guys are paying ME for a service. Then, well, I had to put my foot down. "There is no way I'm going to be at home from 8 a.m.to 7 p.m." She rescheduled for tomorrow. Deja vu?
Another story. An Internet company. We have Internet on and off. Basically, it's an Internet with a character, that's probably why it's expensive.I call the provider. The recorded message:"Thank you for calling us. You can also find the information you need at WWW...." Well, thank you very much for that. I swear, they must be mocking me and laughing out loud?
It's ridiculous!These companies are making a fortune our of people like me and their service is really undermining my intelligence. So why do I put up with them?
1)I don't really know another cable provider,and it's kind of boring to do the installation all over again.
2)I really cannot live without Internet. The first thing I do in the morning is have my coffee over my e-mails and job search.
3)When I call to cancel 'cause I'm fed up, they offer all these free months and discount and persuade me that I'm the only one in this city who have this problem with their service.It must be me then? Maybe their Internet works only with U.S.citizens?Anyway, they give me the free month of no-service and put on line to troubleshoot. The Internet comes back. I'm calmed. It disappears again...
In the world of these services providers, the rule of the premium pricing just doesn't apply. The more you play, the more they laugh at you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marija, you could try hooking your wi-fi card into the laptop and see if you can piggy back on someones network in your building until you get your service restored at home.

I know that this is not completely kosher with some people, but it's a stop gap - short term solution.

After plugging in the wi-fi card, there will be an icon in the tray at the bottom right (next to the clock) where you can see a list of available networks and the signal strength. Sorry if you already know this and think that I'm talking down to you... lol. :D

Marija said...

No,actuallu, I don't know this.Thanks!
And thanks for reading me:)
xoxo