Saturday, August 18, 2007

Apres Vous...

M. stumbled upon this charming french movie last night, starring the guy we stumbled upon in Paris in 2003-Daniel Auteuil. I only saw Auteuil's back 4 years ago. But I loved the movie. And the Rotten Tomatoes gives it only 55 percent?!Hence, I don't trust them anymore.
Auteuil plays the guy who saves another from committing a suicide and then feels responsible for him. He meets the girl who left his protege, and they fell in love. In a nutshell.But it's funny and cute,and very romantic. Just the way I like it. And almost painful to watch as Auteuil's character's out humans himself with the generosity and altruism. And as Matt pointed out, Auteuil is vicariously happy through his new found meaning of life. Also, the language and the land-it made me miss it and crave to go back. And brush on my French.
You have to see it!

2 comments:

Marija said...

Commenting on your own post.How pathetic.Actually, what I meant in the beginning is that in 2003 in Paris,I've only seen Auteuil's back. At least what I thought was his back.Matt told me it was him. He saw his face.
There you go:)

Met Zet said...

I'm the one who spotted Auteuil back in March 2003, walking on the street with his female companion near the Rodin Museum. We were disappointed with the Rodin Museum because the original Thinker sculpture was on loan to another museum at the time. But it occurs to me that, if I was able to choose to run into any Frenchman, Auteuil would be my guy. His range is spectacular; just see him in the comedy Apres Vous and then see him in the great drama, The Widow of St. Pierre. Actually, I'd pick Albert Camus, but he died 46 years ago.

This reminds me of an irony of our move to New York City two weeks ago. Friends of mine who have lived in New York have noted a common New York experience of passing into a famous person on the street, and feeling as if it was the most normal thing in the world. The great irony for me on this score is that the first famous person I came across on the streets of New York was Peter Bogdanovic, the film director and probably the most famous Serb-American living today (though Marija had never heard of him, and maybe you haven't either. His most famous film is The Last Picture Show). He was walking alone on I think East 40th Street or so heading east as we were heading west. Of all the Serb-Americans on all the streets in all of America, Bogdanovic walked into ours. Go figure. Kako da ne!