Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Nostalgia

I really miss home. I haven't been there for seven months now. That would be the longest period since I moved away and the ocean came between my family and me. Even though I'm living in New York City, I miss the most simple things like strolling along the walking street in my hometown, hanging out in outdoor cafes with friends, just having coffee with my family at home, in my pajamas. I miss people knowing me on the street. I miss the feeling that I might bump into someone I haven't seen in ten years, just like that. Because, in the city of 350,000 people, there are only so many places one could hang out.
Serbs reading this would probably think I'm crazy. "New York?! And you miss Nis? Ma daj!(Come on!)"
But I do. That's home and this is where M. and I live right now. It's exciting but it's not home. Home has to be a place where you've lived for more than a typical two to four year tour. Somehow, for me, Belgrade feels like home too. I bloody love that city. I think we(Belgrade and I) just have the corresponding energy. Yes, cities definitely have energy. Paris does, Rome does, New York, Belgrade...
And the New York's energy is pretty compatible with mine so far. It's a huge city but it has a pretty good layout. I also love the walkability.
Here I am, living in New York City for the first time, and all I can dream about is eating a watermelon with my family in our beautiful, cozy backyard in Nis. Silly of me, right?

4 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

I think home is wherever you feel most comfortable, wherever you feel like you actually can breathe out and relax. It takes some people years and years to find that, no matter where they grew up. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the energy of NY a bit, though! I think the city suits you!

Marija said...

Thanks Lisa!Thanks for reading and commenting.As you can see, I'm just starting, and I could use your pro tips.Hope you're ejyoing England.
xoxo
Marija

Karl Haudbourg said...

I discovered your blog tonight. I liked it. I'm just wondering what you're currently doing (job..) in NY.

Marija said...

Hi Karl,
Thanks for reading me and for the compliment!I'm sorry I didn't reply earler-I haven't seen your comment since it was after an older post.
I'm currently looking for a job in N.Y.C.I would like to work as a reporter/editor/writer.
Thanks,