Saturday, August 25, 2007

Ruder and Nicer

I know Yoga is good for me. God knows I can use some mind calming. And some exercise. But the way I remember D.C. Yoga is- slow, a lot of breathing and not that difficult. Maybe I was just not doing it right.
Our N.Y.C. Yoga teacher, J. is great! But my whole body hurts now. And not in a good way, you know, like when you do a lot of abs and then your belly is soar the day after. I like that pain. Makes me feel I did something right. And I know I'll be soar from this Yoga everywhere tomorrow. But I'm not exactly sure if my joints, my knees and my bones should hurt as well. Any Yoga experts out there, reading this???
Anyway, I'm still glad I did it. The class was pretty intense. As everything else in N.Y.C.
So, neither M. nor I are big nappers but we had to take a short one after this Yoga class. We had to rest our out-of-shape, non-flexible, broken bodies.
But J. is great, really. She's funny and helpful, and genuinely kind. That's another difference between N.Y. and D.C. There, your Yoga instructor doesn't care as much if you're doing it right or not. That's probably why it was more pleasant to do.
Retailers too seem nicer here, but people in general do not like to say "excuse me" or, God forbid, "I'm sorry" if they step on your foot or hit you with the purse passing at always crowded crosswalks in Midtown. No one cares, really. But in the stores, or in this case, our Yoga and Pilates teachers are very, very nice humans.
Curious, right? Why is that? Is it b/c everything is more expensive here, so, they charge more-they give more? But some of the stores are identical...
As for the rude bystanders and fellow walkers-I just think that New Yorkers don't have time for "I'm sorries."They are always in a hurry. For God' sake, there are so many things to do in this city, why waste your time on a "pardon" to a person you will probably never hit again in your life;-)

No comments: