Monday, August 27, 2007

Dutch from Bosnia in an Italian cafe in New York


I've bumped into my old Dutch friend B. around the Union Square today. It was one of those movie moments. We met in Turkey seven years ago, I've visited her in Utrecht six years ago, she visited me in Nis and Belgrade several times until three years ago when she came to my wedding!

She's this full of life, adventures, young woman, who has a successful career in a NGO in Bosnia. She loves the Balkans which makes me love her even more. She left her rich, secure motherland to live in a small city, in a country still recovering from wars, and work for Bosniaks' human rights. Very impressive, wouldn't you agree? How many people like that do you know?

Anyway, I didn't really just bump into her today. I knew she was in N.Y.C. She came to visit her friends. We were supposed to meet not far from where we actually did. But it was still a golden moment.

We had one of Cafe Reggio's cappuccinos. They're supposed to be the best in the city. Last time they were, this time they weren't. It all comes down to Barista.

But it was still fun catching up with B., finding out how well she's done for herself and all by herself, and about her plans to leave her financial security for another adventure in Africa or South America, in a year or two.

She's still single and enjoying it. "Good for you," I said. "You should enjoy it! Marriage is difficult no matter how much you love the other person." She nodded.

She doesn't want to settle for anything else than true love. I nodded. She doesn't understand why some people do. Me neither.

Her Bosnian was sparkling! I was stunned! I used to teach Serbian (it's the same language, btw). I know how rare it is for a Westerner to speak such good Slavic language. She was, no doubt, fluent at it's best-she even spoke with just a tiny, cute, Bosnian accent. Very genuine.

So, after our cappuccinos, we checked out DSW, walked to an Internet cafe and all the way to my home. She continued her little New York adventure alone after that, since my legs were not up for any, any more.

Great to see you B. Keep up the good work!

2 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

I love Union Square! I wish I'd been there getting cappuccinos, even if they weren't perfect, with you!

Marija said...

Oh, that's so sweet of you L!Thanks, really.And you should come up so you and I can have some great cappuccinos.
Love your blog, btw.It's really,really goo.I'm gonna be the first in line for you book signing.
xoxo