Friday, July 18, 2008

Actor's Reality

I was invited to participate in an Actor's Reality TV show in Manhattan. There was approximately 20 to 30 of us there. In this refrigerator of a TV studio.
It was a very modest version of American Idol for actors--not nearly as much publicity and only two judges. One was a woman who works with hip-hop artists and the other one some guy-- award winning director.
And the games began, to last for three hours. First all of us did about 30 seconds worth of monologues. Then we got the feedback, and about half of us were called back, into the second round, to do an improvisation. And I was one of them.
I did get a 19-year-old female partner who did not help me at all with the improv. But I wasn't shining either. I did improvs in class, but this was different--NO time to think about it, they give you the situation and the characters and say: "action," I've never seen my partner in life before, and she wasn't good. Also, it was all in front of the camera. It was just o.k. We didn't screw up but it wasn't funny. And usually they are supposed to be funny or really interesting.
Anyway, this funny short big hair guy Scott won. He was pretty good. Mostly funny. And reminds me tremendously of my Californian friend Brian.
I wonder what my doppelganger is doing now?

No comments: