Thursday, July 10, 2008

New York on Bregovic's feet

I've been to the concert of my life so far, yesterday in Lincoln Center-Goran Bregovic & Wedding and the Funeral Band's one.
It was phenomenal, everything, that is. Amazing music, singers, trumpet players, and the whole concept of the interaction between Bregovic and the crowd.
At first, people were sitting down in their comfortable chairs. But that became increasingly difficult as the songs were becoming faster and tantalizing--people were dancing in their chairs, with hands, bodies swinging as much as they could, singing...
Finally couple of girls got up, and then I said: "I can't stand it anymore, I have to get up!" So I excused myself to the people in my row and run to the front of the stage to join a person or two dancing over there. Then everybody got up! It was a goose bumping moment. A collective trance! And it stayed that way for another two hours!
I had to get back to my seat because I was dying of thirst. And when I wanted to get back, it was impossible to get so close to the stage. But I still got my fair share of dancing in the aisle. And singing in front of my seat, "Ruzica si bila..." so loud that people were turning around to see who's singing.
I've never been to Bregovic's concert before, but now I am a convert. I will go to the every one I can from now on.
Even when the band allegedly finished its concert, people were stomping their feet loudly( including moi) and Bregovic came back twice, but like he was trying to brush us of, just thanking us with his hand on his heart. But then he sent just two flute players, which provoked laughs in the audience. It was funny compared to the previous strong, loud, moving music. But then the whole band came back and stayed for a while, playing the most popular songs, such as Kalashnikov.
Some kind soul videotaped it last night, and here's the link.
It's Mea Culpa for not bringing my digital camera, but a throw away one. Can't wait to develop those.
I wish I had remembered to bring flowers as well, so I can meet him. Oh, well...next time?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3temUF8mNQs

No comments: