Sunday, July 27, 2008

Three cappuccions, one latte

M. and I have spent our Saturday in Greenwich Village--one of my favorite areas of Manhattan. I actually had an audition to go to, which I did, hungry, got myself a headache and could barely pronounce words let alone get the part. But I did get a call to come audition again for another play. I guess that's something.
M. was waiting for me at Gizzi's, a small, cute-looking coffee shop. Unfortunately, its cappuccino was just mediocre, as was a blueberry muffin I gorged after my audition.
Then we went to Jack's, a tiny cafe just several blocks away from Gizzi's to try it out, since M. read about it somewhere. The atmosphere was casual, pleasant and inviting, and M. liked the cappuccino there, but I thought it was just o.k. Maybe a bit strong for my taste in coffee, which is a lot of milk and sugar, as well as foam, a little bit of weak coffee,
Then we walked along Perry street where tourists were taking pictures of themselves in front of "Carrie's apartment," from Sex and the City. Beautiful street, I'd like to add, filled with trees and colorful brownstones. Loved to live there. No wonder they chose the location for the show.
Today, we went to the Sicafe, on the Upper East Side. I thought that its latte was good, and cappuccino mediocre, at best. This time, M. agreed with me. Sicafe is a bit bigger than the ones in Greenwich Village as well as more modern and expensive looking.
We also checked out Dylan's candy store, a huge, flamboyant, fun and expensive candy store, that, according to a sweet 70-something lady on the street, is owned by Ralph Laurent's daughter. It's great for taking pictures and gifts, but not really for actually buying candy. It's a bit pricey, but what would you expect for such a shiny, tourist-attracting spot.

No comments: