Saturday, January 5, 2008

Audition, with Burek on the side

I had another audition today. I was good, pretty good considering how nervous I was. Yes, still. I'm not sure why, but I always am before any public performance... more-less.
First, I did my monologue, looking right at the director's eyes. I'm not sure if that's the way to do it, 'cause he can do something to throw me off my lines. He did smile couple of times. That's a good sign since my monologue is a bit funny.
Then, I had to read from the sides(the play.) I've never seen this play before. It's apparently by a well-known English playwright I've never heard off. English literature, except for Shakespeare, was not the strong point of the University of Nis. It was interesting, and I think I read well, considering I've never seen the lines before.
The call backs are next week, and hopefully, he'll call me back.
Afterwords, M. and I went to the Balkan restaurant, "Djerdan" for the first time.
It resembles a Balkan "kafana," an ethnic restaurant, and it has the full menu to prove it--burek, jogurt, sopska salata, baklava, tulumba--all traditional Serbian and Bosnian dishes. We weren't sure if the place is Serbian or Bosnian. Our waiter had Bosnian accent. Two waitresses, despite looking Slavic, were speaking obviously non-native English. Bosnian drawings are on the walls. And papers on the bar.
So my guess is-it's a Bosnian Serb's place. Not that it really matters.
Burek was good, sopska salad was not really sopska-most of it was mixed greens. It must be sopska a la New York.
Tulumba was excellent, but baklava was very disappointing. Hard, not soft and syrupy, as it supposed to be. But overall, it seems like an authentic place, where one can eat well for a reasonable price.
Next time, we'll go for burek and tulumbe. And jogurt. The one you drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More of the same:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/astoria/3607/cevabdzinica-sarajevo

http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0802,sietsema,78791,15.html