Friday, January 25, 2008

Bye Bye Times

I was, at the very least, disappointed when I heard that The N.Y.Times endorsed Clinton for the Democratic nominee. Something had to be done! I mean, I myself subscribe to the paper! How could they dare? So I called them up this morning and cancelled my subscription.
"I'm sorry to hear that," a Times' telephonist said. "May I ask why?"
"You endorsed Hillary Clinton and I'm Barack Obama's supporter," I said. And smiled, just a bit.
"I understand," she said. Did she? Maybe she's Obama's supporter too but she needs her job. Or doesn't care. Or...doesn't think it's that big of a deal.
Well, I do. It's a matter of principle. And it made me feel better, like I was making a statement. At least to one person. Actually two. Another woman picked up, to try to get me to stay with the discount. But I was determined. We can always buy The Times on the street. Incognito.

No comments: