Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Weekend auditions

I had two auditions this weekend. Usually, I don't like to audition on weekends, but I decided to go to these two, since I was invited to both, as appose to an "open call."
The first one was "in and out." An actor before me was just finishing his monologue. I got in, talked a bit with the casting director, and did my monologue on a real stage of a college in Manhattan.
Afterwords, the decider said: "Call this number and tell this person that I'm very interested and that you are available on those dates."
"Great," I said happily, "I will."
"I'm from Czechoslovakia," he said. "And I can totally imagine her saying:they invaded the country next to mine," he said to his young, female assistant. She smiled.
That one ended well, I thought. But I got my hopes up before, when others were "very interested."
So I called that other director on Monday. "Please drop me an e-mail and we'll schedule something this week, " he said. And I did, right away. That was yesterday morning. Nothing yet.
The other audition was on Sunday, in the New York Film Academy, at Union Square, for a student film.
When I arrived, I realized that there was no sign up sheet, and there were about six or seven people a head of me. Usually, that's nothing, but these guys really took their time. They spent about 15 to 20 minutes with each of us, which led to about two hours of waiting. I was already there, so I just waited, and talked a bit with another actor.
After my monologue, which was taped this time by three very young guys, I read the sides and had an interview as well.
"You have a bit of a Russian accent, " the one in charge said. "I feel inspired actually, and I wanted to tell you that I'll be working on a character perfect for you."
"Thank you for the compliment. You know where to find me."
I actually thought, why am I waisting my time with these kids? But I could use some film credits on my resume, and you never know who these film student could be some day.

No comments: