Monday, September 3, 2007

Moma-take 2

We went to Moma again, yesterday.We figured, it's a holiday, most New Yorkers will be out of town, which leaves only tournons,plus $20 for a ticket...we should be fine.
When we got there, the line was non-existent outside, but inside, well, it's another story. So,M.decides to ask about the membership.It turns out to be reasonable, considering all the benefits-unlimited visits, no lines, guests get in cheap, discounts on goods...Have I mentioned no lines? And another practical thing about it-it's tax deductible. So we became the proud members of Moma!
I was a bit sceptical at first.You see, I like Impressionists, not Modernists.I like my art to have emotions captured in it, but with no nihilism, or depression-I don't need to go to the museum to see that! So, for example, I knew I loved Van Gogh and Monet.I've been to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam six years ago and I felt in love. I don't remember exactly where Monet got me, but it might have been Louvre.
So, after we walk through this garden with so-called "sculptures,"I have to admit, I was worried.Big pieces of rusted metal, placed side by side are not exactly art for me. So, we look at the guide to find paintings.Older paintings, XIX and early XX century.
We get up on the fifth floor and there it was-this huge Monet!A pond with waterlilies!Suddenly a big smile inhabits my face. I love his romanticism and his use of colors!He just makes me feel good!
Then I discovered more about myself!I knew I didn't like Picasso-he's too weird for my taste-but I didn't know I'm going to enjoy his contemporary-Matisse!They have the whole room filled with Matisse. He tells you a story, which I also like!
And then, Kandinsky!That was a surprise too!I loved his use of colors, and how the shapes blend into each other!
I'm not an art critic, nor a big connoisseur,as you can easily deduct, I'm sure, but I know what I like and I can recognize the artist-Toulouse-Lautrec, Goghen, Cezanne...
It's the knowledge I've acquired from museums all over the world, and the one I'm quite proud of.And now, I would like to read a book about art and artists.At least about the ones I like and dislike.I would like to understand what I'm looking at.
Even though we left Moma after the fifth floor, I 'm looking forward to returning to the museum, and learning more about the paintings I love.You know, through one of those audio guides.I'm not a big fan usually, because,I think, it distracts me from enjoying the art, but now,I would like to get inside their heads.
Joining the museum turned out to be a great decision for people like me-with low attention span!I can take years to explore it.Yay!

No comments: