Saturday, September 15, 2007

We had a tiny party to kind of celebrate my Masters degree.It's a big deal for my family.I believe to be the first one in a large tribe to get such a prestigious education. No one seems to even note that I got it in my non-native language,and in my non-native but resident country.But that's o.k. I do dream in English anyway.
Serbian way of showing up to parties is usually with an hour of a buffer.The other thing is that a lot of people had "words" with other people,so some of them preferred to come tomorrow. Some of the invitees had other obligations and self invited themselves for tomorrow.So, a couple-of-hours party turned out into a two day thing. How Serbian!
I did enjoy catching up with my high school professors.It's a totally different relationship now, between us, and it's true what people say-you only remember the good things.At least about my high school days.But it also made me feel a little bit uncomfortable, going back to my past so deep and so far.I live in a different world than they do.I partly chose it that way, it partly happened by itself.While one of my professors was telling me what others do, it seemed to me that they are still friends.I, on the other hand, have lost touch with, literally, all of them.It made me wonder:"Am I so different? Is it all me? "
Two of them even got married a year or so ago!They spent four years as friends,survived long term relationship and broken marriage with other people,and felt in love with each other during a reunion?!Isn't that an amazing story!The strangest things happen to people.You just can't tell.
I can't even imagine what the party, part two, will reveal about my former mates.

No comments: