Sunday, September 30, 2007

From Bush to Barack


As much as I was happy about my picture with the President, I'm a much bigger fan of Barack Obama.I even wanted to volunteer, but his team wanted me to go to New Hampshire and back in one day?!In a car?!And pay myself for it?!I don't think so.So I ended up not going to the training, since it was also supposed to be a weekend marathon.That was probably a mistake, I realize now. I know,spilled milk...
But, I did go to his rally in Washington Square Park last week.I was very excited about showing my support in Clinton's backyard, plus about a possibility of getting another great picture for my blog!
So I walked for a long time, got myself a horrible cappuccino to go(I didn't know it's going to be that bad)from Le Pain Quotidien, and entered the park.The volunteers directed me toward an incredibly long line. A line, in a park, for the rally? O,yes, there were thousands of people waiting to go through a metal detector, in order to see and hear Obama.
The organization was ridiculous!Only one metal detector,I suspect, since I couldn't have seen it from the back of one of the lines, for thousands of people?!Many gave up after realizing that it would take them two hours just to get to the security point. I patiently stayed in the line, even though the bad cappuccino made me really thirsty and my legs started hurting, until M.called: "I'll find you," he said. "You can't find me, I'm in the middle of a line,!"I responded frustratingly. There was no way he could've come to me. A million people behind me wouldn't let him. Also, my legs were angry at me. So I left the line.I t was disappointing not to see Obama after being in a line for more than an hour, plus walking for another half, just to get to the Park. All I really wanted at that point was to sit down. And have a drink.
The N.Y.Times reported that there were about 25,000 people at the rally.That seems right. What I don't know is if they counted another 5,000 who left before it actually really started.Pitty I was one of them.

No comments: