Friday, December 28, 2007

Atonement

Have you ever seen a movie you can't stop thinking about? I've only seen couple, in my entire life. One of them? Last night.
Atonement sounded compelling from the day I've read about it in the N.Y.Times and saw an add on TV. I enjoy war movies, especially wrapped around a love story.
It was all that, but very deep, with professional, natural acting, for the most part. I actually though that McAvoy was absolutely perfect at his role, while Knightley was good, really good. I still caught her acting couple of times. And that's a no-no. For example, the scene at the door (you'll know when you see this "must-see" movie:)She had her responses ready even before the main male character spoke.
Also,I think Redgrave was overrated as well. I'm sure she's a great actress, and she was good at her tiny role, but great? I don't think so.
Two other actresses,the blond girl and the same grown up, both with hard names to remember, were excellent at their performance.
The movie itself is a bit of a challenge to follow, while interesting at all times. It makes you think about how unjust the world and life can be. And why? Makes you think a lot about why? It also tricks you, spins you, which I love. For me, acting and the unexpected twists are the most important elements of a memorable movie. And this one reminds me of "The English patient" from 10 years ago. It is as good.
I predict it will swipe away the Oscars.

No comments: