Monday, December 3, 2007

Audition-Take Two

I've survived my second audition in this city crawling with wanna-be actors.
But this one was legitimate. When I walked in, I found a scene you all probably saw at least once on TV--a room filled with actors reading a book and waiting to get called.
"Do you need to sign up?" said a woman close to the door, couple of minutes after I've must have been looking lost. "Yes," I answered, thankful for the attention. "The sign up sheet is in the other room."
The first empty slot was 83. It was 12:30 p.m. And they were auditioning number 38.
So I put my name on the sheet, pack my bags and meet M. for lunch.
Two hours later, they're listening to the number 59. At least I wasn't late.
Looking for an empty seat in the packed waiting room, I spot this young, friendly looking girl and make my way there. Soon we start talking about the business and how competitive it is in this city. She's a professional actress, even has a M.F.A. in acting. This is all she does and how she supports herself. Very impressive, I thought. She's been doing so for seven years now and still cannot get an agent?!
"Can I see your resume," a Serb in me is rearing her nosy head. "Sure," she says, and the rest of the conversation was about how she got to be on "Law and Order."
"Wow, " I said, "that's all I wanna do!"
She's been kind in saying that it was just a tiny role, but to me, it sounded magical!
Her resume is impressive- a lot of theater, some TV...I felt like such an amateur.
Then I realized, most of the people in this room are probably as experienced as she is. What am I doing here ?????
But, I was already there. It was a long walk. It took me an hour just to get ready.
So, I'm not leaving without at least walking into the auditioning studio and saying my monologue. Even though I felt like finding a big hole and crawling into it.
So I did it! I walked in, said my monologue, thanked them and left. The panel of four people-two mid aged men and two youngsters were at the table. I was in front of them, in this large, more-less soundproof room. They didn't seemed impressed.
Still, I felt so good about myself leaving that place, despite knowing I'm not going to get the role. I did something I was afraid of. I also got so many advices from that nice actress I bugged. And I might actually be better next time!

No comments: