Saturday, December 8, 2007

Seurat, auditions

I had another audition today, this time in my league-a student film. It was fun, and the best one I had so far. The audition itself was in the same neighborhood as the previous ones, but in a professional looking studio, with autographed headshots of real, famous actors on the walls.
The "casting agent" was also a screenplay writer, but because he was young and only getting into the business( I presume,) he was nice, gave me time of the day and the atmosphere was much more relaxed that previously. I didn't do the monologue, but read the "sides," which is acting vocabulary for the parts of the script you read during an audition. So I read, we talked, I read again and than he said he'll get back to me. The shoot, if he ever calls me back, will be outside of New York. But that's o.k. It would be fun, and a good experience.
As it happens, everything happens at the same time. I got a phone call for another student film just hours later. This audition is on Monday, also for an interesting, a pretty big role in a NYFA film.
So, keep your fingers crossed. It's good experience and, boy, do I need it!
On my way back from the audition, M. and I stopped at packed MoMA, to see Seurat.
I highly recommend the exhibition! His late work is amazing! I was stunned by his drawings from the family of "At the concert European," where he's drawn nightclub singers and the atmosphere in French clubs from late XIX century, with such insight. He's a symbolist, with the heightened use of mysticism. His best work was just before he died, at the age of 31, from diphtheria. It's amazing how much he was able to achieve in such a short life. What a waste.
So go, see it, now!

No comments: