Sunday, March 23, 2008

Let me not to the marriage of true minds...

I went to two auditions yesterday. The first one was for a part in an original play.
It was in this tiny, scruffy, really old, run down theater, on W.36Th. st.
The playwright was nothing I expected. She sounded much more older, serious on the phone. In person, it was this shorter, plump African-American woman, with cheap clothes and a winter hat on her head, inside a room. But I was already there. And the play is interesting.
Her assistant was this younger guys, short, body-builder type with shaved head. Not at all what I expected. But I read my sides, and I read them well. So I was content because of that.
Then I met M. in this place he found on W.56Th st., named "Kachkaval."
It's a charming little Mediterranean cheese and wine place. I was taken by the atmosphere of wooden bar and tables, candles when the light was still outside, and abundance of cheeses and wine everywhere around us. We had tzatziki, amazing spinach-feta burek and a sampler of cheeses including a "Drunken Goat," my personal favorite.
After filling my belly, I went to the other audition, just a bloc away. This one was for a play in verses, something resembling Shakespeare. So I auditioned with my Spoonriver Anthology poem-monologue, which was just o.k. Then I read one of the poems they gave me. I'm not even sure I read everything right. I have to admit, all the Shakespeare I ever read was in Serbian. Except for several sonnets.
Like the one from Sense and Sensibility, which I believe is number 116.
"Let me not to the marriage of true minds,
Admit impediments
Love is not love which alters when the alteration comes,
Or bends with the remover to remove
It is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests
And it is never shaken..."
Yes, I memorized it a long time ago, after the mentioned movie. It was just so beautiful. I wanted to capture it. Maybe even impress someone:)

No comments: