Friday, March 7, 2008

Lydia I am

My acting teacher gave me a scene to work with, and a partner. The scene is from Theresa Rebeck's Spike Heels, and my partner is my acting buddy-E. I've been in the same class with E. for three months now. We already had an improv together, which worked out well. She's nice and easy to work with. I'm trying to be the same.
In this play I am Lydia, a rich woman who's engaged to a sweet professor. The twist is that above my scholar lives a kind of trashy,good looking, swearing Georgie, who's really too good of friends with my Andrew. Or is it more than that? I confront G. when my fiancee postpones our wedding. On the same night, I also find Georgie's clothes in Andrew's apartment...Scary, ha?
As you can, no doubt, see, the scene is at the very least confrontational. But that is not the problem. The difficulty is that in this scene, Lydia and Georgie have friendly moments, where, for one, I am giving my heart out to one of my hearth breakers. And that will be really hard to do, and mean it. Really feel it.

No comments: