Thursday, March 20, 2008

A morning stint

I've received a call this morning from Language Connections. This guy, Josh, said he has my resume on file and if I could proofread two documents--one English, one Croatian, and send them back to him and this Russian guy within two hours.
He said that I've sent them my resume. I remember sending my resume to several foreign language schools when I moved to N.Y.C., so I said--fine.
I took the job. I wasn't sure what to charge, but I looked at the Web and asked the language company I've been working for years now, as a telephonic interpreter, and came up with a modest price, that still seemed worth my while.
The documents were long and boring. It was basically a contract, written in lawyers' language, in two languages. It took me longer to check it out than I expected. And it gave me a headache. Boring things give me a headache.
But I already made my bed. And I don't go back on my word. Unless I have a very good reason. And you don't turn down a job, unless you have a better one.
So I found some discrepancies. I wrote a short report. And an invoice, a bit later in the afternoon. I did my job. I did it well.
Hopefully, I'll get paid for it within 30 days.

No comments: