Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Acting Kingdom

My acting classes are becoming more and more interesting.
I almost gave up last week. I don't feel like engaging in any kind of intellectual activity in the evenings. I'm more of a morning person.Also, four hours seems to be too long. But I payed for a month, and I have until the last class to decide if I want to take them for another month.
So, tonight was really interesting. For those of you who think acting is a glamorous job, think again.Well, maybe when you become M. Streep or DeNiro.But by then, you, for example,pretend you are an animal.
O, yes, we had to pick an animal who resembles a character we are working on, and become that animal.I picked tiger since my character is beautiful but also deadly.I had to walk on all fours. I had to make up whatever sound tigers make.(What sound to they really make???)I had to attack a bird who came too close to me. The bird turned out to be a butterfly. I had to scare away the snakes attacking me...Glamorous? My knees still hurt. Have I mentioned we did this on a hardwood floor?
Of course, we have a teacher-director telling us what to do. Not specifically what move, since everyone is a different animal, but to walk or attack or defend, make noise...Oh, it's silly. But it has a point.
Then we had to tell our monologues from our animals. Some told it crawling, some flying...It was a lot of fun. And humiliating. Not easy, at all.
But I like it more and more.I feel I'm learning and growing more comfortable.
I'm still not sure if I'm going to continue in November.I will travel then and I really shouldn't miss any classes. Each is important for the growth of an actor.
I should really continue doing it.If not in November, definitely in December. I need to be and stay on the role.

No comments: