Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Long way from Midtown to Chinatown


My g-friend really made me know New York yesterday.
The initial plan was to go to the Union Square, and then to the Village for one of Cafe Reggio's great cappuccinos.I thought the plan was good, you know, enough for one day.O h, no, not for this hungry lady. She wanted to see the world and she wanted it yesterday.
"Look, Soho is so close to us," she said pointing at the map. "Can we go there?It's such a beautiful day!" She got that right. It was plain gorgeous in the city yesterday. Sunny, 74, just beautiful. "O.k.," this pushover said, sadly looking at the few last drops of the cappuccino. "Let's go."
So we went to NoLiTa, Soho, Little Italy, even Chinatown during our attempt to see Tribeca. "Do you know what Tribeca means,?" she asked excitingly. "No", I said, exhausted. "Triangle below Canal!!!"
But we never got to the triangle. Instead we stumbled upon one the dirtiest,shadiest neighborhoods of New York, where Asian looking people were telling us something every which way we looked. If this is Tribeca, I thought, I don't wanna see it!But we were probably in some outskirts of Chinatown.
We did have a great pizza in Fanelli's and famous Tartuffo and Tiramisu in my beloved Cafe Roma. Tired or not,I wasn't going to deprive her of Cafe Roma's calories, once we were in Mulberry street...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

asian looking people? hmmm, maybe they were actually asian?

If you took a little time away from the tourist traps, you would see that inside of china town you probably have some of the best food in NYC...for the price of a coffee you can sample some of Asia's finest. and if you are trying to get good italian...walk away from little itlay...it sucks!

Marija said...

Actually, Chinatown is the least explored neigborhood by me, I regret to say. I did have awful pasta in Little Italy and I agree with you on that. I think my friend and I just stumbled upon a bad part of Tribeca, or Chinatown or...something. I'm sure there's great stuff to see there, and eat, and I'm looking forward to it!