Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Evaluation or presentation?

I had that half an hour private evaluation class at the ballroom and Latin dance club today. It wasn't at all what I expected. This Russian instructor, obviously a pro, was more trying to impress me with what he can do, than focus on what I can do. He has a really big ego, I must say. All he made me dance, for just a bit, was cha-cha-cha and samba. And there are 10 dances I use to know.
Samba I couldn't really remember. It looked familiar and I could remember doing some steps a long time ago, but I couldn't remember the technique then and there. He didn't give me much time anyway. Cha-Cha I did remember, and I did dance a bit, but he found many flaws in my moves--posture, hand movements, hip movement.
Well, you can imagine, I wasn't happy about that.
Then he offered private lessons. I said I was interested in the group ones. Then he said he'll write that I was level I. Level I?! That's a beginner, I said. "Not necessarily," he defended himself. But he put in level II. There are five levels. Five is professional.
So after that, he went with me to register. Thursday works best for me this month, so I let him and another person talk me into taking a Level I class of Samba and Cha-Cha. It's with a great teacher, they said. I guess I do need it for Samba. But for Cha-Cha? Will see.
Anyway, I might try to switch to Level II Rumba on Fridays. It seems to make more sense. But then again, I won't know how fast and how useful these classes really are until I try one.
Also, I might have an acting gig on for Thursday. I don't want to get my hopes up yet though. I'll find out tomorrow. And let you know, of course. Keep your fingers crosses. Pleeease?

1 comment:

Ed Mahony said...

Russian guy, with ego, trying to impress, with cha-cha-cha - definetly element of comedy there!
Good luck with the acting gig.