Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hristos Voskrese

Greetings from Virginia! And happy Easter, if you're Orthodox. It's Serbian Easter today, and my family is recovering from a feast in Saint Luke's Orthodox Church in McLean.
First there was a long service. We only came for a brief part of it. God forgive me, but Serbian Orthodox services can be tedious and long. The priests are chanting in Old Church Slavonic for most of the two hours while the believers are standing, Yes, standing, for most of the two hours. It is not easy. But I guess that's not the primary concern of the church. Then there's a Communion, and kissing the icon and the cross held by the main priest, and giving and receiving of the colored hard boiled eggs, then blessing of the food, and finally gluttony.
The food was really amazing, in the tastes and variety. I don't eat meat and I still came out with more than I can eat in my plate. Sauerkraut meal was my favorite. And the home made bread, pogaca, my mother made was out of this world. And not only because she made it. In fact, my family is quite critical of each other.
And the desserts? Everything from a chocolate cake to cannollis. Yummy. Pure decadence.
So chatting with our Orthodox friends, and easting and drinking, we spent our cloudy Sunday afternoon. And then had to take a nap at home. To digest. And woke up on time for dinner.

No comments: