Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Free beer at Happy Hour

My parents came to town, and I got a part in a play. My life has changed dramatically in just couple of days.
Now I go to rehearsals every morning and go out sightseeing every afternoon. I don't have time for anything else. And I've been chronically tired ever since we stayed up until 3 a.m. at the Balkan Party, in the U.S.Mission to UN, on Saturday.
The rehearsals are hectic, more so than in my wildest dreams. Michael Chekhov Theatre seems well established, but small and poor. They do a lot of productions and have a lot of actors, but I don't think they are getting paid. I know that my cast of about 20 people doesn't get anything, not even the comp tickets for family and friends.
It's a bit ridiculous, that I put in a lot of time and effort, and M. has to pay to see me. I mean, it comes out of the same bank account. But the director says the theatre is struggling so I guess they need every dollar that could come their way. Or every seat.
Also, he expects us to solicit the audience. That is also a bit absurd. I mean, of course I'll invite people, but I don't want the whole audience to consists of family and friends. I guess they don't put any money in advertisement and invitations. They count on their actors doing that for them. As well,for free.

No comments: