Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bloomi's, Nespresso and the open Lex

My mother came to visit last night. She's been staying with my sister in Washington and helping with the baby. I guess they needed a break from each other.
I was looking forward to her visit, since I like to take her places and brag about how fun the city I live in is.
So I took her to Bloomingdale's first. But on our way there, the Lex Avenue was closed for the piazza, an open market, that stretched from approximately 42Nd until at least 56Th, or 57Th street. The international vendors had everything from food and drinks to arts and crafts. My mother loves outdoor markets, so she enjoyed the first New York one, and I enjoyed seeing her excited about it.
In Bloomingdale's, we got an offer for a complimentary make-up. While she was under the skilled hands of one of the Clarins' make-up/sales women, she kept smiling and saying how much she enjoyed the treatment.
But afterwords, they wanted us to buy stuff. A lot of stuff. I swear, the same African-American lady, who did my Mom's make-up, wanted us to buy at least 10 different skin care products. Talking about greed. They were priced from 20 something to 100 and something. All together, at least $500 worth of skin care, such as five different moisturiser for every wrinkle one might have on his or her face. They kept offering us gifts, free lipsticks if we buy... I asked my mother, what does she need. She said nothing, since she still has her needed skin care at home. So I said, thank you, I'll buy a lip product for myself, and we'll think about the rest. "There's just too many of them, I can't buy all of them, and we don't really need anything right now..."
Oh, boy, was she unhappy! I could see her thinking: "I did that makeup for one $20 product?" But, her approach was wrong. She didn't ask us if we're interested in buying Clarins. She just literally approached us with: "Come one, I'd like to do your make up for free..." Wouldn't you take it?
So, the little harassment by Clarins women spoiled the Bloomingdale's experience a bit. But then, we went to Nespresso. We all loved that, M. my mom and I. She especially liked the free yummy cappuccinos they made us to show how their machines work. And they didn't harass us to buy them afterwords.

No comments: