Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hellish auditions

I just came back from an audition from hell!
Last week, I got three e-mails of invitations to this audition. It sounded promising. It's for a new sci-fi movie. Despite feeling lazy around 3 p.m., I got myself ready and on the subway.
I thought, it's going to be "in and out." I mean, I have the appointment at exactly 4:30p.m.
When I got there, there were another 30 people with the same appointment. Then a dark-skinned man, with a suit and the longest hair I have ever seen, up to his shoes and in a braid, came out, and started picking people randomly. Hello, there was a sign-in sheet!
"Is there anyone whom I've never seen before,?" he asked. That was my queue.
So I got inside the audition room, with a stage, along with another 10 people. We started doing monologues. Then, he brought this couple on the stage for a rehearsed scene.
At first, it was interesting. This blond woman was manhandling this guy. She was supposed to be some fantastic being or something. Anyway, after a while, they started simulating sex. Yes, it was weird. There was no nudity, not even real kisses, but it was a bit blushing to watch. Uncomfortable. For them. And a bit scary for me. Then another couple did the same scene. The noises and everything...Then another. When he gave me the same scene, I objected.
"I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable with this scene. Are you casting for anything else?"
I expected a NO. But...
"I'm glad you told me. The others just left."
Wow, I'm actually not getting kicked out for standing up for my principles. Instead I got this short scene, in which I am a reporter. It wasn't bad. There was however, a swear word in it, but I did put an effort to be there, so I ignored it.
After another half an hour of waiting outside, I did that scene, alone.
I was just o.k.
"Are you Union?" he asked. You know my answer to that.
"I am going to call you for a club scene."
I thanked him, and left. Happily.

No comments: