Friday, February 29, 2008

Thank God for good vampires

My mother has been bugging me to have my blood tested for months. And a doctor I saw when I was sick in September mentioned that I should have my cholesterol checked every year. But I am terrified of needles. And pain. Just frightened of giving any amount of blood. My blood is supposed to be only in my veins, and that's where I would like for it to stay. But I caved in, since I've been tired lately, had probably too many headaches, and I feel sometimes like something is stuck in my throat. And it's not.
So I set it up with my wonderful brother-in-law, who's a Doctor, to come to the medical office where he works and have a check up.
An extremely pleasant, younger African-American man was joking with me, while braving me to take my blood. "This is going to be so easy for you, you have great veins! Can we take a picture of her veins?..." When he got inside my vein, I felt it, that sharp pinch, and that was it. But I knew that damn needle is still in there, inside of me. "Breath," he said. The next thing I remember, the tiny room was turning black and closing in on me.
"Put your head down and try to lift your body up," the lab assistant said. He also used the wet napkin to wipe whatever little makeup I had on me. He put some water on my head and neck. I kept putting my head down, between my legs, and up again. I had a chocolate. It didn't help much. "Would you like a banana?" he asked. "No, thank you, you're so nice to me, I don't wanna take your lunch," I said.
"Look, I have a banana, and I want to give it to you. O.K.? It's very nutritious."
I smiled. And took the banana. I didn't feel like eating. But if it would make me feel better...I had a half. I felt sick....
It seemed to me like I've been there for an hour trying not to faint, and get my head up again. Finally M. came to pick me up and bring me home. I stayed in bed for the rest of the day. I felt brainless.
I was hungry when I came to doctor's office, because that's what I thought I was supposed to be. Being claustrophobic, scared and hungry while giving blood, proved to be a bad combination. And I'm the only person who goes to a doctor healthy and comes out sick.
Thank God for extremely helpful people!I asked my brother-in-law to give one of the Swiss chocolates I brought for his kids, to the nice lab technician. After all, I did eat his lunch.

No comments: