Sunday, February 17, 2008

Unsettling Kosovo

I didn't think that Kosovo's independence will touch me, but it did. I mean, I knew it's going to happened. Still, seeing Albanians celebrating in my own country, with Albanian flags on Serbia's medieval ground, the center of what once was strong Serbian empire, didn't go down easy.
Also, I wasn't happy with the riots in Belgrade as well. I mean, we were there, at the Embassy just a year ago. And those Americans over there, working and living in Belgrade, are on the Serbian side. But I understand that Serbs had to protest. I just wish it were peacefully.
I've talked to some of my family and friends today, Serbs living here or in the motherland. No one is happy, everyone is worried. My friend told me that the atmosphere in Belgrade in ominous. And all this just weeks after Djokovic has won the Australian Open. Speaking of ups and downs for Serbs.

No comments: