Friday, February 8, 2008

My non-flat, too up-beat, happy voice, with a smile

I got a call from the director five minutes ago. The play, the readings are tomorrow evening. Only 24 hour heads up. And one rehearsal.
I was, deep down, hoping he won't call me at all. Maybe they found someone else, in New Jersey. Maybe it's canceled. But, he did call. And I already gave my word. Also, it is New York City. If you don't want to do nudity, plus you refuse to do non-nudity roles away from the city, it seems to me you need to go into another profession. Not that it didn't cross my mind.
I was skimmed some job ads today. I used to do it every day, but now...not as much. It gives me a headache. Almost anything can give me a headache.
I also had another audition today, this time only for my voice. In Serbian.
I picked Laza Lazarevic's stories. Off course. Sentimental value.
And the reading in the recording booth was good, until he said:"Can you do this more flat, less dynamic, less up and down... and with a smile?"
It's literature, for God's sake! I didn't bring the Financial Times in Serbian. Also, I don't do flat anything well. I did try.
At the end, I offered to come back with a newspaper article.More flat, you know.
He "played" me. He said he can use me doing Lazarevic. I thought, listening to it:"I really sound good. I don't' know what he's talking about."
Apparently, one can sound too happy. It doesn't sell well.

No comments: