Thursday, February 21, 2008

Poor Belgrade

I got very upsetting news from Serbia today. Some number of protestors against Kosovo's independence attacked and set fire to the U.S.Embassy in Belgrade, the same Embassy where I worked for three years and loved every minute of it. I felt sad, even sick about it, especially when my mother told me that they found a body inside. It was one of the protestors'. I guess one should not play with fire...
It's such an unfortunate situation. I hope the rest of the world doesn't see these kinds of attacks as strategy of all Serbs. Peacefull protests are fine, even expected. Serbia does have a legal right to Kosovo as a part of its own teritory. But to violence? Absolutely not. And against whom? Today, one Serb died. The MacDonalds' in Serbia belong to Serbs. Americans working in the Embassy with Serbs are friends. Often very good ones. And most of them love Serbia. Trashing Belgrade will not get Kosovo back. Nothing probably will. But it's everyone's right to show the world peacfully that it's making a mistake. Not but making a bigger one, though.

No comments: