Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pilot in Tribeca

I decided to go to an audition for a TV Pilot more than three weeks ago, as soon as I saw an ad for an open call. I knew there would be a lot of people, but I also knew, if I get there fairly early, I'll eventually be seen. I have that much experience.
So M. and I took the subway to Tribeca today. It was a freezing day in N.Y.C., but my mind was set on this Pilot. When we got there,I signed up as number 108. They were auditioning number 28 at the time. So M. and I went to get some coffee at Church lounge, M. read about somewhere. The lounge is amazing! New, fashionable, with an evening atmosphere and red lights at noon time. It's a bit pricey but worth it. When we got hungry, we decided to go to Petrarca across the street, and had great red house wine, mussels and grilled calamari salad. "Didn't we have thess exact meals last time,?" one of us, or both of us concluded after ordering our food. It was an easy choice from the lunch menu-tasty but not too filling, such as pasta would be.
We went back to the audition site, where they were auditioning number 66. So, we went back out again, walking around, checking out a cute home-store and had tea at a coffee place. When we came back, about an hour or so later, there was this huge line, inside, in front of the door to the casting director. I talked to the coordinator:" I'm sorry but we dropped the numbers when we realized, we won't get to everyone..."
Ridicilous, unprofessional people! I knew they're not going to get to everyone back at 11:30a.m! It was so unfair, but what can one do? They already formed this tight line, there was no order to it, just, what I call a "pushing" line. At a point, I realized that I might wait for another hour standing up, among people, hot, and still not be able to read for a part!So I gave them my headshot and resume and left.
Walking toward the subway, I wondered if I made a mistake. Maybe I should have waited? Why else the trip to Tribeca on a very cold day and waiting around, even if in nice restaurants and cafes. But I left. There's not much of a chance of getting one out of three younger roles, out of more then 200 people anyway! Still, I would've felt bad either, waiting like an idiot, or as I did, leaving.
I dropped the production company an e-mail. A nice one, but still informing them of what happened. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Let's see if they schedule another day, as they kept promising bac in Tribeca to disappointed actors...

No comments: